Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2017

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cartridge problem C4188
my printer had a paper jam and i pulled out paper after opening cartridge door as done many times.
now after recent incidence it shows cartridge problem, check colour cartridge. i have seen no problem with cartridge. I tried all instructions of Hp to set it right but failed.
any clues to the poosible cause ?
also HP say I can print in Back Up Mode, but how to reach this mode?
Can you please help ?
thanks a lot for your time and effort

prasad
with a HP printer if you remove the colour cartridge it should print with just the black still in place.
now if you ripped out the paper and it was under the printhead at the time you may have damaged the printing head of the colour cartridge, try a replacement colour cartridge.
(08-12-2008, 11:35 AM)davey6 Wrote: with a HP printer if you remove the colour cartridge it should print with just the black still in place.
now if you ripped out the paper and it was under the printhead at the time you may have damaged the printing head of the colour cartridge, try a replacement colour cartridge.

The printer does not go beyond either "insert colour cartridge" or "check colour cartridge" on display panel. print command is not executed. How to go beyond this stage, site talks about "Back Up" mode to print with one cartridge.
How to go there ? Also I do not have spare cartridge, and i feel there is no problem with cartride. Hence I want to be sure before bying new cartridge. Scanner works only printer locks.
Please advise
Regards and thanks for your time and effort.
click here and download the basic manual.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manua...ct=1832962&

under chapter 2 check the trouble shooting guide.
i can not see backup mode list but the self test is listed.
even if the printer say's insert colour cartridge it should print out a self test listing the problems in what ever cartridge remains.
(08-15-2008, 10:15 AM)davey6 Wrote: click here and download the basic manual.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manua...ct=1832962&

under chapter 2 check the trouble shooting guide.
i can not see backup mode list but the self test is listed.
even if the printer say's insert colour cartridge it should print out a self test listing the problems in what ever cartridge remains.

Thanks for help. I had both mannuals, but are not descrptive to answer my needs.
i was refereing to
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...ct=1832962
site of HP where in step five it talks about "Backup" mode thus
Step five: Print in backup mode
If you do not have a replacement print cartridge, you can still print in ink backup mode until the issue is resolved. Remove the problem cartridge and print with the remaining cartridge.
If you remove the tri-color cartridge, the printouts will be in grayscale.
If you remove the black or photo cartridge, the printer will print more slowly and the colors in the printouts may differ.
unquote.
Now i have given printer for service. I shall come to know what it is ailing from.
Thanks a lot for your help
yeah thats what i told you in my first reply , remove one cartridge and it should print in the remaining one.

i admit i did not know HP class that as back up mode but i did tell you correct.

if it comes back from the service and they say its going to cost you X amount of $$$ weigh up the price of repair to the price of a new printer,
new printer are not that much these days.
i just bought a scanner/printer all in one epson
cost under $100

only reason i went for that is my scanner packed up, poor old thing so i went for the all in one.

i have three printers now, two epson ( i like epson ) one HP , the HP only does text its faster, the epson are much better at photos.
(08-17-2008, 05:54 AM)davey6 Wrote: yeah thats what i told you in my first reply , remove one cartridge and it should print in the remaining one.

i admit i did not know HP class that as back up mode but i did tell you correct.

if it comes back from the service and they say its going to cost you X amount of $$$ weigh up the price of repair to the price of a new printer,
new printer are not that much these days.
i just bought a scanner/printer all in one epson
cost under $100

only reason i went for that is my scanner packed up, poor old thing so i went for the all in one.

i have three printers now, two epson ( i like epson ) one HP , the HP only does text its faster, the epson are much better at photos.

I shall keep your advice in mind to buy new one if service cost is more.
I shall post final action any way in this forum.
as regards back up mode, i tried printing with only black cartridge, but printer would not budge, from display of check colour cartridge, stage. printing was not taking place. hence i was asking to know about entering that backup mode, HP refers. till today i am blank on this one. i would like till to be enlightened on this.
thanks and regards
I have since received the printer from service. I have been told that Flat trailing cable had breakage and was repaired. However I had to change the defective colour cartridge. Now printer is working fine. Servie cost me $10.
Once again thank you for all the help.
service cost you $10 , my god thats cheap.

the ribbon cable in printers is the one weak point after years of going up and down the same line they do tend to snap.
its a bit like bending metal starts off hard then gets easy and snaps.

but for $10 that was well worth it.