Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2016

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Booting
Hi tere, long time with no problems but we are here again,

XP Home keeps refusing to boot, unless I switch off at mains and on again, goes for a while but next start up same problem, sometimes cant get in at all, cant get Safe Mode either. Boot from CD to try repair and asks for admin PW. I have never put in a PW, went past that and in command mode, type in fixboot and start up, it works for a while but loses again on next restart. I also get the messages that I have lost:

(Windows Root) System32\hal.dll and
ntoskrnl.exe.
I have cleared the HDD, newly partitioned and formatted, clean install XP, ok for a while then it reverts back to problems.
Does this indicate a dodgy HDD?

Any Clues?
welcome back gideon , wow is a long time since we last spoke.
i think it was when i just started the site, as you can see its all grown up now.

if it works after killing main power you will have to check your hardware.
with no power it allows all hardware to drain its built up current.
so i would check the following list.

memory sims . take out clean , replace
psu if possible try another,
check your motherboard for bad caps these will look like a mushroom or will be leaking brown goo all over your board if you find that your motherboard will need to be replaced.
pull you hard drive out note down its make and model.
go to the people that made it and download the test tools.

check the hard drive IDE cable they don't last for ever.
you have hardware breaking down somewhere in that machine and you need to test the above to find it.
(09-16-2008, 08:34 PM)davey6 Wrote: welcome back gideon , wow is a long time since we last spoke.
i think it was when i just started the site, as you can see its all grown up now.

if it works after killing main power you will have to check your hardware.
with no power it allows all hardware to drain its built up current.
so i would check the following list.

memory sims . take out clean , replace
psu if possible try another,
check your motherboard for bad caps these will look like a mushroom or will be leaking brown goo all over your board if you find that your motherboard will need to be replaced.
pull you hard drive out note down its make and model.
go to the people that made it and download the test tools.

check the hard drive IDE cable they don't last for ever.
you have hardware breaking down somewhere in that machine and you need to test the above to find it.

Thanks Dave, you have confirmed whats been going through my mind, so will have to spare a day to go through it, like us poor souls we get a bit arthritic in our old age and need a good scrub up, lol.
scrub up ???

don't you mean a good rub down ???
its not just the old that suffer with that , oh no take it from this creaky 41 year old , my joints snap crackle and pop.
You have good reason to snap-crackle-pop at 41, Davey, and we're glad you still do.

Me - it's just accumulated damage, rust, and age on the body and chassis...

...sometimes I think my 21-year-old Ford is my "Picture of Dorian Gray" :loll:
(09-18-2008, 03:00 AM)pasound Wrote: Me - it's just accumulated damage, rust, and age on the body and chassis...

well you would fail the m.o.t in the uk and sent to the scrap yard :lol.GIF: :lol.GIF:

m.o.t out here is a joke , lights work yeah ! breaks stop yeah ! you passed.
Hi,
Any clues as to what: ntoskrnt.exe means.I thought I had fixed everything fine the other day and was working OK, till this evening when 'poof' that appears again and cant get in.
Thanks.
goggle is throwing up alot of answers on that file name,
is there a root code before it ?

something like c:system/root/ ?

if there is can you let me know what it is so i can check it up with goggle and microsoft
(09-22-2008, 09:21 PM)davey6 Wrote: goggle is throwing up alot of answers on that file name,
is there a root code before it ?

something like c:system/root/ ?

if there is can you let me know what it is so i can check it up with goggle and microsoft

Yes:
I sometimes get:
(Windows Root) System32\hal.dll

if thats any help.
Hi Gideon

Welcome back

Hal.dll is the Hardware Abstraction Library and ntoskrnl.exe controlls various system services such as hardware virtualisation, process and memory management. It sounds like there is indeed a problem with memory. Try setting your BIOS to Default. There may be a problem with Shared Video, or aggressive RAM usage. If this does not make a difference, try removing any added components (modem, nic card, video card, etc). As the others stated, try cleaning RAM chip, CPU, etc.

Good Luck!

TPruden
(09-24-2008, 02:23 AM)TPruden Wrote: Hi Gideon

Welcome back

Hal.dll is the Hardware Abstraction Library and ntoskrnl.exe controlls various system services such as hardware virtualisation, process and memory management. It sounds like there is indeed a problem with memory. Try setting your BIOS to Default. There may be a problem with Shared Video, or aggressive RAM usage. If this does not make a difference, try removing any added components (modem, nic card, video card, etc). As the others stated, try cleaning RAM chip, CPU, etc.

Good Luck!

Thanks for that, my initial gut feeling was right then, at 76 I am still learning, lol. Fortunate I have this machine workin OK. The one thats dodgy is one I keep for visitors to use.

TPruden
76 and still learning ?

my god i doubt if i ever will see that sort of age, well done Gideon to still be learning new things at that age.
(09-24-2008, 07:56 AM)davey6 Wrote: 76 and still learning ?

my god i doubt if i ever will see that sort of age, well done Gideon to still be learning new things at that age.

Hi, Thanks for encoragement.
OK, got it working fine yesterday, online as well. Shut down etc. Then this morning low and behold, no joy, managed, after several switch off's and starts, to get a 'long beep' at intervals. Checked in my handbook by Michael Tooley, been useful in the past, but cant see this listed. Any clues what this signal means?
i will need the bleep code its giving you.
like one long two short or three short that sort of thing.

three short is normal for gfx card ,
its its just one big long bleep without stopping i think thats a cpu fault.

will also need to know what bios that machine has IE award , ami e.t.c
the bleep codes differ to what bios you have.

I have seen this in the past with a AMD cpu thats breaking down, if you remove the cpu and replace it and the machine then boots its the cpu or even the motherboard socket thats wearing out.
to check the board is simple, remove the cpu. shove some thick cardboard under the motherboard right next to the socket to case,
that will support the motherboard while you replace the cpu and heatsink and will stop it twisting with the heat.
if it runs ok for a week like that its the motherboard at fault.

its hardware thats getting warm then when allowed to cool off breaks down or refuse's to make contact , bit like a dry solder joint.
Hi,
Sorry I never got back on this one but I put the PC away for when I could find time, or get a new motherboard, regret due to the terrible pound/Euro exchange rate I am losing 30% of my pension each month so feeling the pinch. Therefor I decided to give it another chance, cleared the HDD, started afresh an lo and behold, it works ok, at least I thought, so have now submitted a question in 'other' above.