Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2017

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
onboard graphics card or ram
my girlfriend has an emachines t3120 and when she turns it on the power led light as does the hard drive activity led but the monitor gives the no signal message the connection is tight and up till today I have been able to power it down and unhook the power cord for about 5 minutes and it would come back up .
I was trying to figure would this be something wrong with the onboard video or would this be bad Ram causing this or am I way off base on this 1
btw its not the monitor I switched that and it still does it
hum that could be a number of things.

my first port of call would be the bios, reset it back to full auto defaults.
second would be ram
third CPU , yes sounds strange but some AMD cpus will reset a overheat detect with no power, others may need to be reseated.

if all else fails remove the cpu reseat it and try again.

if nothing works then its a bad motherboard, check for blown , leaking power caps if you spot any of those its new motherboard time.
also it seems to me like you had said before that that model had problems with the power switch as well so I am thinking that may be posible as well since the hard drives are not spinning up and the power supply was replaced just a month ago for doing the same thing
I would not think power button if the power led and hd led are alight.
if the drives don't spin up and the led flash on the cdrom on a cold start up that would point to a power fault in the psu its self.

or a closed power switch bit like keeping you finger on the power button.
test the button with a meter its only a short out two pins on the motherboard push to close contect switch so easy to test the switch.

if that proves to be working and replacing the psu brings the pc back to life again i would with out a doubt look for bad caps on the motherboard as they would overload a psu even a new one and stop it powering the board.

like wise a short in the hard drive spin up control would also stop the full boot as its overloading the auto protect on the psu.

to be honest if that pc came to my door like that with led's that light when the power button is psuhed this is what i would do.

remove all power and pull the drives
start pc ,
shut down , allow to cool try and restart,
no restart , check power button
but if boots three or four times with no problem add the hard drive in to the mix.
boots up after that allow to warn up, shut down and allow to cool
no boot up change psu, check hard drive
again test.
it was the motherboard .
I pulled the power supply out of my tower and tried it and it was doing the exact same thing.
None of the caps were charred but there is one that is loose .
I told her that when my budget allows I will get another bare bones motherboard ram cpu combo since that will actually cost me less than just a direct motherboard replacement and give her a faster system anyway so that one goes like this:compu2:
best thing you can do with a emachines computer :compu2: :compu2:
Rapps :loll:
seems that way Dave although not much on that one was still emachine except for the motherboard and monitor evrything else had been replaced over the last year or so
think your going to hate me, just bought a new monitor.
never seen a lcd screen so dam bright thats for sure.
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detai...fullspec=F

i must not punch this screen , i must not punch this screen , this monitor is too nice for me just to stick my fist in it.
(11-05-2008, 10:15 PM)davey6 Wrote: think your going to hate me, just bought a new monitor.
never seen a lcd screen so dam bright thats for sure.
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detai...fullspec=F

i must not punch this screen , i must not punch this screen , this monitor is too nice for me just to stick my fist in it.

now why would I hate you for that cute little monitor lol
but you are right no punching allowed

here is my monitor
http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.ph...18;pt;2#cb
not a fan of acer stuff, had some bad hardware off those people in the past.

cute ? little ?
i hate massive monitors sitting on my desk top lol lol , i like something i can read without the need to move my head, lol

i just had to turn this sodding thing down its burning a image in the back of my eyes its that bright.

sould have got the next one up with the HDMI input but thats not out here yet, maybe in 6 months time as my video card has hdmi output.
that would be a outstanding picture i think.
I know just what you mean about burning the eyes mine did the same thing when I first got it especially on sites with a high amount of white in the background .
This site hurt till I reduced the brightness a little lol
I have a question about that emachines computer
would this motherboard be a decent replacement without having to reinstall the os as it is almost identical with the one that is in the computer .
the gf will not let me scrap it just yet
here is the board in question
http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic...VMX&eq=&Tp=
it is identical in virtually every way to the factory e machines board even down to the fact that they are both made by asus
thats a standard atx board, now check your emachines layout at the back.
sometimes they don't use a standard board , the port lay out will differ.

if its using a standard atx board there are a number you can choose from that would fit.
i would not go for that board because of the via chipset being used.
i would go for nforce or ATI board.

as you know i am not a fan of AMD or ATI but that won't stop me telling someone on a limited buget what i think would be the best choice.
(12-12-2008, 08:52 AM)davey6 Wrote: thats a standard atx board, now check your emachines layout at the back.
sometimes they don't use a standard board , the port lay out will differ.

if its using a standard atx board there are a number you can choose from that would fit.
i would not go for that board because of the via chipset being used.
i would go for nforce or ATI board.

as you know i am not a fan of AMD or ATI but that won't stop me telling someone on a limited buget what i think would be the best choice.

the port layout is identical to the emachines board .
the only difference i saw was one single card slot that while in the same location was a different slot.
the e machines board has a small pci slot while the asus board uses a large slot in that location but since it uses the same chipset as the e machine I was just figuring that the windows install on the hard drive might just think it was all the same board unless I was to actually put something in that one slot.
it is possible windows would start to reload pci to pci bridge , e.t.c as the asus bios layout on using IRQ might differ to that of the emchines bios.
depends if emachines did write that bios or if it was done for them by asus.

port size will make no difference driver wise as a pci slot is a pci slot no matter its size on the motherboard.
the lane in and out the chipset should remain the same.
(12-13-2008, 12:48 AM)davey6 Wrote: it is possible windows would start to reload pci to pci bridge , e.t.c as the asus bios layout on using IRQ might differ to that of the emchines bios.
depends if emachines did write that bios or if it was done for them by asus.

port size will make no difference driver wise as a pci slot is a pci slot no matter its size on the motherboard.
the lane in and out the chipset should remain the same.

well I have no way of knowing whether Asus wrote the emachine bios but even if I have to reinstall the os and programs that wont be a major problem as I have all my setups saved to disk as well as the motherboard drivers .
I will just end up slaving the hard drive long enough to recover her documents and then format and reinstall
if your going to end up rebooting anyway i would change the board for a newer chipset.
the via chipsets of that age are not very good, the nforce boards are better for onboard gfx and more stable.
I thoughgt about it but that computer really isnt worth investing much in as for an upgrade thats why I chose that board as the cpu and ram will interchange with no problems.
although in the near future I am going to build a pc for her with an intel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I apparently have no graphics card marhven 5 7,220 08-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Last Post: davey6
  graphics drivers brian480 2 4,040 09-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Last Post: brian480
  Installing graphics help megzillah 4 10,100 09-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Last Post: megzillah