Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2017

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ide problem
on the kids computer I recently installed this motherboard
Asus K8V-MX S.754 AMD DDR400 SATA
and also added 2 additional hard drives for added storage my problem is that the computer does not recognize one of the drives on the primary channel.
It does this even though I have tried all the jumper configurations master slave and cs .
I even tried switching out the ide connectors twice with first a known good pull and second a new cable and it still does the same thing.
It does this regardless of what drive I have hooked to the spot although it will recognize the hard drive on both another computer as well as in a different spot.
what is causing this or did I just get a bad board.
I thought about a bios update but that computer does not have a floppy drive and I do not know how yet to update the bios from either cd or flash drive.Eek
does the bios show these drives or are they just missing in windows ?
if its he bios ,hook up the drives with cs , then go in the standard settings and use the auto detect.
it may be set to use just one drive and slave maybe disabled.
if in doubt reset the cmos back to defaults and try again.
if the ide channel was not working it would not see the master drive, i think slave has been disabled in the bios settings.
actually it is only the slave that is recognized on that channel not the master and it does not show up in the bios and at this time the cmos is set to default I havent messed with anything other than setting the time and date on this one
you not trying to use a wd drive by any chance are you ?

some of them have funny jumper settings and need two jumpers installed to get them to show the right order.
if you are using a wd drive just pop over to their site and check the model number with them.

http://www.wdc.com/en/
(01-14-2009, 09:51 PM)davey6 Wrote: you not trying to use a wd drive by any chance are you ?

some of them have funny jumper settings and need two jumpers installed to get them to show the right order.
if you are using a wd drive just pop over to their site and check the model number with them.

http://www.wdc.com/en/
as a matter of fact one is a wd drive I will post back after checking it with them
it turned out to be a bent connecter on the mb ide hookup
I guess I got in too big a hurry to hook it all up lol
Straightened both the pin and the problem .
so how often do you overlook the simple solutions like that your self davey ?
to be honest chikid68 never.

in all the years i have been doing pc's , laptops i can say with my hand on my heart that i have never bent pins on anything.
i am one of those people that when it comes to working on a pc nothing else matters, you can talk to me but you won't get a answer.
I block out the outside world.

cut myself yes, had bad hardware that took time to find yes , bent pins bcause i was in a hurry no.

that does not mean i have not seen bent pins , i have loads of the them
in other peoples machines so i know how easy it is to do.
(01-18-2009, 09:51 AM)davey6 Wrote: to be honest chikid68 never.

in all the years i have been doing pc's , laptops i can say with my hand on my heart that i have never bent pins on anything.
i am one of those people that when it comes to working on a pc nothing else matters, you can talk to me but you won't get a answer.

cut myself yes, had bad hardware that took time to find yes , bent pins bcause i was in a hurry no.

that does not mean i have not seen bent pins , i have loads of the them
in other peoples machines so i know how easy it is to do.

I will blame these on my kids I was trying to explain how to hook everything up so that may have been the distraction lol
tut tut , blame the kids indeed.

just take care and block out everything else thats all you have to do, nothing will get in my way when i am building or repairing a computer.
talk to me is like talking to a wall when i have my paws inside a case.
(01-18-2009, 09:53 PM)davey6 Wrote: tut tut , blame the kids indeed.

just take care and block out everything else thats all you have to do, nothing will get in my way when i am building or repairing a computer.
talk to me is like talking to a wall when i have my paws inside a case.

well at least I havent cut myselfas of yet lol plus my monitors are unpunched :lol.GIF:GrinRapps
computer case's have come along way now with there rounded edges, screwless pci card slots ,
the old days my god it was like sticking your paws inside a box of knifes.
i still have a scar on my right hand done by a computer case cdrom slot, it was so dam deep and i did not feel it at the time only when i took my hand out and saw all the blood opps.

hay, i have not given a monitor a good slap for sometime now, the last one hurt lol lol.
temper temper davey, lol
that is true and while I havent worked on those old rigs I have seen a few .
Its a good thimg you hanent hit the monitor in a bit as I remember when you posted about getting it
(01-18-2009, 09:51 AM)davey6 Wrote: to be honest chikid68 never.

I removed an IDE cable once and several of the pins that are usually soldered to the motherboard came out with the cable. Wasn't rough with it and I have never had that happen again. Really weird!
asus board by any chance ?
they had a bad stage of that at one point a fault in the machine let out alot of boards with doggy solder on them.
Hi
the one on the far end away from the Motherboard should be master, and the one in the middle, should be slave, these are the jumpers, also, I believe that they can be turned off in the bios. so if all else fails, check the bios.
DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING IN THE BIOS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!

Thank You...