Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2016

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presario F560US - XP Pro
Got rid of Vista months ago and was running XP Pro with no problems. Woke up the other morning and no more internet.

I have 2 desktops in the house (1 wireless) and no problems with them.

Been researching this problem for 2 days now trying to figure it out... Have the Amber light on by the switch (switch does nothing) and also tried using a Linksys USB Network Adapter from my desktop.

It would show up as connected but I couldn't get on the internet? Been reading some really bad info on HP laptops since I've been trying to figure this out...

So many people having problems with HP products it's unreal! Should be a Lemon Law like cars have...

Downloaded a driver program ($) to see if that would help but now I can't figure out how to get the results off of the laptop to the desktop and have them download the needed drivers.

Other than bad hardware, is there any answers? I'm not a computer guru but know enough to get in trouble... LOL!Pcfite
if you have wifi connection ie you can see and connect to the wifi access point but you have no pages being displayed in your browser i would tend to think that this may well be a firewall problem more then a driver problem.

if its doing the same on the built in wifi and the usb wifi it would seem to point to that.

remove the usb wifi from the system.
restart the laptop
shut down all firewalls and anti-virus software
reinstall the usb wifi once more.
again restart and shut down the above.

find your wifi point and connect, see if you can now access the net.
I have no AV Software installed and have tried plugging the cable straight from the modem into the laptop bypassing the router completely.

Under Network connections, it shows that LAN is enabled and a NVIDIA nForce Networking Connection. Status is Connected and it list my IP address...

The built-in WiFi doesn't do anything, but it used to work great.

I've done everything you recommended above but don't see any firewalls. My router has it's own security enables but I used the password when setting up the USB and it allowed me to connect.

I've put the USB WiFi back in. It says I have an excellent connection but page still does not display when trying to access the internet?

Checking the properties, it says my IP address is invalid. They are all 0's but the box is checked to get it Automatocally? Is that right when using a Wireless USB?
that does sound like a firewall to me.
do the following in case the windows firewall has blocked it.

click start, control panel , windows firewall,
shut it down.
restart the laptop then do the following.

click start, control panel, internet options,
on the first screen your looking at, clear history , cookies the whole lot.
then click the advanced tab, restore IE back to full defaults.
restart the laptop once more.

now click start , control panel , internet oprtions, connection tab
make sure its set to use any connection and not set to use a dail up connection.

you have the connection from router to laptop, its just being blocked from lancard/wifi card to IE

and just for the hell of it make sure your other pc or laptops can access the net from the same router / switch your trying to use this laptop with.
(08-10-2009, 09:10 PM)davey6 Wrote: that does sound like a firewall to me.
do the following in case the windows firewall has blocked it.

click start, control panel , windows firewall,
shut it down.
restart the laptop then do the following.

When I do the above, there is no "Windows Firewall" on the Control Panel?

click start, control panel, internet options,
on the first screen your looking at, clear history , cookies the whole lot.
then click the advanced tab, restore IE back to full defaults.
restart the laptop once more.

I did this...

now click start , control panel , internet oprtions, connection tab
make sure its set to use any connection and not set to use a dail up connection.

Under Connections - the only choices it gives me is Setup, Add or LAN Settings.

LAN Settings are "Automatically detect settings"

you have the connection from router to laptop, its just being blocked from lancard/wifi card to IE

and just for the hell of it make sure your other pc or laptops can access the net from the same router / switch your trying to use this laptop with.

I have a hard-cable desktop that is working fine & another desktop that is 2 rooms away using the same Linksys USB Network Adapter (that I tried on this laptop) that is also working great?

I don't understand how this laptop went from working great to nothing overnight...[b]

This is crazy... I have Excellent signal strength and am unable to connect to the internet? Packet Activity is virtually non-existent, but I have an IP Address and Subnet Mask under the Internet Protocol...

No Default Gateway, DNS Server or WINS Server.

I even installed Mozilla just for grins, nothing...
well that don't make sense to me.
if you connect by wifi you will get a ip address from your router which you have so you are connected.

can you connect to the router its self and see its settings by using this laptop?
that should still work even if the net does not as you have a connection from laptop to router.

windows xp pro does have a built in firewall it was part of its selling point being the first of version of windows to come with such a firewall.
if you can't see its icon in control panel try the following.
click start , control panel , double click security center, it should be listed there as well.

if security center is also missing from control panel i would tend to think your windows install has screwed up and you will need to reinstall
windows to clear the faults.

other things to try.
reset your main router, to clear its mac address log file
try system restore
click start , all programs, accessories, system tools , system restore, go back about a week.
see if that puts windows back to a working state.
Security Center was missing from the control panel entirely... Am now re-installing XP Pro. I deleted all previous editions & partitions and am doing the long format vice quick.

Will post results shortly.

Thanks for the help Dave!
Nothing... Still the same. I don't understand how the internet can be connected wireless or hardwire with an excellent connection but yet it will not allow internet access?

But the packets "sent" is 68 and "recieved" is 0.

Still no Security Center on the Control Panel...

Is there a way to look into the system configuration and see if something is running in the background preventing access to the internet? I noticed there are quite a few things in there NOT running...
try loading sp3 on to xp to replace the missing security center
stand alone download link for that can be found here.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...laylang=en

something is not right if you can get connection but no net.
can you connect to a hotspot anywhere other then your home ?

thats just to test to see if its the laptop at fault or your router blocking the mac addess of the wifi card.
davey6,

That's exactly what I did (had to load SP1 then 3) and now it will access the internet with USB adapter or the ethernet cable but the internal card still doesn't work? Went to Windows Update and finished all those.

I've been to HP website (Vista stuff only) and have also tried numerous drivers that I found during searches that are for this computer in XP downgrade.

I removed the internal card and put it back in to make sure it was seated all the way. Nothing...

Under Device Manager it only shows the Linksys USB & the NVidia. Should there be another card showing for the WiFi?

Amber light still on and switch has no effect...

Went on-line searching for an alternate style of external card but this computer doesn't have any external ports but USB....

Could the internal WiFi card be bad? And how would I know besides it's not working? LOL!
it could be a bad card, i mean that do go wrong from time to time, but for the most part they do last a few years , you may just be unlucky.
however you should be able to replace it if you can unplug it.
is it a mini pci card or a mico pci card ?

one other thing to check and this is just basic stuff really.
the bios has the main control over that card not the switch.
the switch is for the user to turn it off to save power, however it is possible to disable the onboard wifi card in any laptop by the bios.

check you bios settings and make double sure next to onboard wif it states enabled.

and one other thing you can check as well, take out the built in wifi card.
look at its main chip, its should be a broadcom chip.
let me know what they chip number is.

not sure if this link will work or not but i will try.
look at this page on ebay.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=Presario...m104.l1198

you will see a larger card and a smaller card.

one size should match what you have in that laptop.

after all that please remember double check your bios, would be a waste of money to replace a card thats just disabled.
and on a personal note, i haev always found that the Atheros chipset used in wifi cards is better then the broadcom.
i have used both in my time and the Atheros held the signal much better.
Yes it's a Broadcom. sticker says "replace with HP spare 441090-001. Numbers on the other side say: BCM94311MCGBP1 rev P2 WMB-217G V00-A 4AD7EBD

Not sure of the difference of mini vs. micro, obviously the size... It's smaller that a matchbook.

I will re-install and check BIOS.

Numbers on the chip itself:

BCM4311KFBG
HK0715 P20
819208 R2
OK... I need a password to enter the BIOS. Any ideas what it could be?
nope , sorry the password is set by the owner of the laptop, if you don't know what that is it will have to go back to HP to be reset.

on newer laptops like that HP the password is held in a read only area of the bios chip.
its to help stop unwanted use of the bios by the person that owns the laptop.

likewise my own dell XPS is fully passworded, it will not even boot without you entering the admin password in to the bios.
and you can't access or format my hard drive without a password.
itsa good idea unless of corse you buy a second hand laptop and the owner does not give you or clear the password
ok just finished reading about that card.
its a standard one used by hp in the DV2000 series and DV6000 series.
this should be the correct driver.
Download

now i really must fall in to bed its 2:15am here
Tried the obvious - Phoenix, F560, etc..
Sorry davey,

Driver download did nothing.

I'll try and aquire a new card and give that a shot. If that fails I guess I'm stuck using a USB-type connector...

Thanks for your assistance and maintaining such a great site!

Tried loading the link to the eBay page you sent that looks just like the card I have but it won't work. The very first card at the top of the page looks like the one I have.

Without the BIOS password, even with a new card would it reset itself if it was disabled previously?
no thats the problem,
if the bios is set to disable even a new card will not auto switch it back on , it would remain disabled till told otherwise.

you can try a new card and pray very very fast , lol lol
make sure then one you buy comes with the driver disk, that way you will get the xp driver for it without a problem.
Davey6,

Found this while scouring through the HP site manual for the F560US and am in the process of trying it now. Minimal dissassembly required, just a few screws to remove 1 panel on the bottom.

Unknown user password
If the computer you are servicing has an unknown user password, follow these steps to clear the password.

Chapter 4 Removal and replacement procedures
NOTE: These steps also clear CMOS.

1. Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn the computer on, and then shut it down through the operating system.

2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.

3. Disconnect the power cord.

4. Remove the battery (see Battery on page 29).

5. Remove the real-time clock (RTC) battery (see RTC battery on page 34).

6. Wait approximately 5 minutes.

7. Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the computer.

8. Connect AC power to the computer. Do not reinsert any batteries at this time.

9. Turn on the computer.
All passwords and all CMOS settings have been cleared.
Yes,

That did reset all the passwords including the BIOS and the Boot Network Adapter was disabled and I enabled but I wonder if I missed something because after booting back up the WiFI light is still amber.

Is there something further I need to do?

Will play with it more. Perhaps I need to try loading the driver you gave above again since hopefully the internal WiFi is enabled now?
you have been very lucky there.
most new bios setups have the read only rom now.
thats the older type bios setup that forgets the password when discharged.

now your in the bios look under advanced and check for the wifi card.
I'm in the BIOS but do not see an "advanced" tab? The only place that mentions the Network Adapter is under the Boot Menu?

And I did change that to "Enabled" but it still has no effect on the internal WiFi cababilities.

The only options I have are:

Main (can only change time / date)

Security (Admin / Power-on Password)

System Configuration (Language, Button Sound, VRAM size & Boot Options)

Diagnostics ((Primary Hard Disk Self Test)

Exit

Phoenix BIOS Version is F.18 if that helps any...
is that all the sub menu's under System Configuration that's listed ?

phoenix bios is very basic at the best of time's but that list seems even more basic then normal unless HP have made it that way.
if nothing is listed under the main and sub menu's change the card for a new one.