Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2016

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vista to Windows XP SP2
Please Help!!
I have a fairly new Dell Vostro 1500 that came loaded with Microsoft Vista, which I hated, so I downgraded to XP a little over a year ago. Just this week I reformatted XP using the recovery disk that came with my Dell Dimension Desktop Computer, which had Windows XP SP2. That version was much newer than the Windows XP disk that I used the first time.

As I did the last time, after I reformatted, I went to Dell's website and downloaded all the drivers for my Vostro 1500. Everything works like a charm except the sound. I have no volume control button in my taskbar any longer and no sound at all. When I go into the Control Panel to Sounds and Audio Devices, and click on the Volume, Audio, and Voice tabs, it says I have no Audio Device.

When I go into My Computer to Device Manager, everything looks like it is up and running.

I ran Everest, and here's what part of that report says:

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name GRAMMYSCOMPUTER (My Laptop)
User Name Judi
SMTP E-mail Address grammyj@nc.rr.com
Logon Domain [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Date / Time 2009-08-26 / 09:33

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile Intel Celeron 540, 1866 MHz (14 x 133)
Motherboard Name Dell Vostro 1500
Motherboard Chipset Intel Crestline-GM GM965
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Hynix HYMP564S64CP6-Y5 512 MB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM3: Hynix HYMP564S64CP6-Y5 [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type Phoenix (02/03/08)

Display:
Video Adapter Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family (256 MB)
Video Adapter Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family (256 MB)

3D Accelerator Intel GMA X3100
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SigmaTel STAC9205X @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller [B-0]

As you can see in the report, the Audio Adapter,SigmaTel STAC9205X @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller [B-0] is there.

Anyway, I'm at my wit's end, so if anyone has any clues as to what the problem is and how to fix it, I would be MOST GRATEFUL!!

Thank you,
Grammyj[/font]
from what you have said i think i can see where the problem is.

windows is listing that sound as HD audio, windows xp does not support HD audio of any kind without the microsoft UAA driver installed.

think of the UAA as a patch to xp, all it does is tell xp how to access HD audio chips

what you need to try and do is this.

go in to add remove programs remove the sigmatel HD audio driver from that laptop.
restart windows, when it say's found new hardware don't let it search just cancel the windows self install.

now go online and download the newest version of the UAA which can be found here at gigabyte.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Mothe...#anchor_os
second driver from the top of that list.
install the UAA driver.
restart windows once more.
now go back to dell and download teh sigmatel driver one more and install it.
your sound should now work.
davey6,
you are a GENIUS!!!
I followed the instructions that you gave me, and VOILA!! I got SOUND!! What I can't figure out is why this didn't happen when I downgraded to XP over a year ago. Do you suppose that it was because the version I downloaded was one of the earlier versions? I'm not even sure it was SP1.
Anyway, I am SO grateful to you. Next time (hopefully, there won't be a next time any time soon) I will ask questions first rather than driving myself nuts for a day and a half!!
I can't thank you enough, and you can be sure that I'll send anyone with driver problems to your website.
Best regards,
Grammyj
that may well be down to dell, when you first downgraded they may have had a all in one driver on their site.
which was the UAA and sigmatel in one driver package.
over the corse of time they updated the main sigmatel driver and put that on their site.
problem is they did not do a all in one set again its just a stand alone driver.

i think you may well have had xp sp2 last time as the UAA will refuse point blank to install on xp sp1 and below.