Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2016

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help, RE: Driver Robot, Driver Detective, Driver Cure, Driver Checker
I have a Dell M90, downgraded to XP-PRO.
I believe I have all the latest drivers installed from the Dell support site.

I have run Driver Robot, Driver Detective, Driver Cure, and Driver Checker on it. They each give a different list of drivers

DriverCure = 16
Driver Robot = 13
Driver Checker = 7
Driver Dtective = 6

I have gone into device manager and asked XP to find the drivers and it finds nothing new on any of the drivers identified as needing updates - but I have not found this approac to be worth much previously.

Some of the more common "hits" from these programs are:
Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Univeral Host Controller (27C8 to 27CC)
Intel 82801 PCI Bridge - 2448
Intel 82801GBMGHM (ICH7-M) Seral ATA storage controller
OHCI Complient IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Richo Memory Stick Controller
Richo MMC Host Controller
Richo xD-Picture Card Conroller
HID-compliant Mouse (this appears twice in each list)
Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Some of them also list a printer driver for my L7780 printer. But I "know" this driver is up to date as I have installed the latest driver from the HP support site, and I have run their update probram and it says I have all the updates.

My questions are:

Can these driver checker programs be trusted - i.e. if they list a driver that really does not need to be updated, do they have any potential for replacing a good driver with a bad one?

Which of the various driver checker programs do you think is the best of the lot?

Am I correct in assuming that I have the latest printer driver for my L7780 or is there some way these vendors would have a newer release than what I get from HP support?

Similarly, is there some way these vendors would have a newer release than what I get from Dell support for things like my video driver (which some of these programs list as having an update available).

Do you have any of the drivers in the above list that I can use to verify that I have the latest installed?

Comments??

Thanks
(09-27-2009, 01:44 PM)JOHNM719 Wrote: I have gone into device manager and asked XP to find the drivers and it finds nothing new on any of the drivers identified as needing updates - but I have not found this approac to be worth much previously.

Some of the more common "hits" from these programs are:
Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Univeral Host Controller (27C8 to 27CC)
Intel 82801 PCI Bridge - 2448
Intel 82801GBMGHM (ICH7-M) Seral ATA storage controller
OHCI Complient IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Richo Memory Stick Controller
Richo MMC Host Controller
Richo xD-Picture Card Conroller
HID-compliant Mouse (this appears twice in each list)
Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

My questions are:

Can these driver checker programs be trusted

In a word no they can't be trusted.
the work by looking at a built in database which is not kept up to date.
if you have a driver on your system with a newer date then whats on their system it will tell you your driver is out of date.

every one of these so called programs i have tested ever since they first popped up on the net always pick on the intel drivers.

even if you load this set of drivers which is the correct set for you by the way, http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_D...2&lang=eng
these so called programs will still say they are out of date thinking they know better then intel themself's

dell are one of the best for update drivers, but you can always check with the people that made the hardware inside your machine IE
broadcam , richo, intel.

those programs are really not worth the money people spend on them.

most up to date broadcom drivers can be found here.
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet...source=top

your printer you have already checked with hp so i would leave that alone.
card reader stick with the dell drivers as they know best on those.
oh and before i forget this.

i have beta tested windows 7 since m/s were kind enough to send me the first screwed up copy.
i ran Driver Detective , and driver checker on what was then beta 1 windows 7.

not only did they call up out of date drivers, but when i checked they wanted to try and install windows xp 32 bit drivers on a windows 7 64bit machine.
that is not the sort of mistake they should really be making if they were any good.

right now i am running windows 7 rtm 64bit, i know if i run any of those programs it will call up out of date drivers, which to be honest is not possible as i sat down and installed everything direct from the people that made the hardware.
ok JOHNM719 you got me at it again lol lol lol lol

I just tested all the programs you listed with windows 7 64bit RTM

bare in mind this install of windows 7 is not even a week old yet and i know all its drivers are fully up to date.

biggest problem software of the lot was Driver Detective it seems to think my pc is a HP built machine this time round, in fact i built this pc so i know thats wrong, thats only minor anyway however i should list it.

right i will list each program in turn and list what they found.

driver detective.
all intel ide, sata and main chipset drivers out of date.
epson printer out of date, nvidia gfx out of date.

driver reboot.
all intel drivers listed above, logitech webcam, nvidia gfx.

driver checker
all intel drivers, nvidia gfx, creative xfi card,

driver cure.
all intel drivers, webcam, creative xfi, nvidia gfx, conexant modem, realtek lan.

these results all point to one thing, these programs are rubbish every one of them.
i really can't see how they can have a update driver for my creative card when i had to email creative direct and ask them when is the driver for windows 7 coming out.

my nvidia card is running the newest set of drivers from nvidia.
modem is so old its built in windows 7 anyway
lan is running the latest drivers from realtek after the built in ones with windows 7 have a problem.

my printer is running a vista driver as epson are still working on the windows 7 driver set.

in short don't waste your money on these programs, none will fully slove your problem and most will install a out of date driver or worse still a wrong driver from a older windows.
Many thanks.
The reported needed-updates lists seemed suspect to me, thus my questions.
Thanks for the confirmation - and the links.

Regarding the Broadcom link -- When I go into the XP Device Manager, the driver just says, NetXtreme 57XX. But Broadcom lists different downloads for different groups of chip sets ALL BEGINNING WITH 57 - so 57XX is not enough info to tell me which driver to download..... Ahhh just found the instructions on Broadcom to figure out the right driver to download.
Thanks again.
I got the intel and broadcom updates installed, and indeed, the scans did remove most of the reported issues. There is a remaining 82801 PCI Bridge 2448 that is shown as needing an update. Should this have been covered with the update I got from the link you gave me, or is there another intel link I need for this?
sorry only just seen this.

that would have been covered by that intel download i gave you.
Great.
Thanks again.
Of the four, I go for drive cure drivers.
to be honest raven you wasted your money.

so many of these so called auto scan programs now and none of them are any good at all.
even had a few of them wanting to put ads on this site i refused all of them.

when one of these programs comes out and does a better job then myself then i might think about it till then they will not be allowed on this site.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  driver for pci card Pieter 1 2,671 01-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Last Post: davey6
  I need bluethoot driver ganiy20022002 6 4,870 12-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Last Post: penkaye
  what would be the correct driver for formating a hard disk elsekreto 1 2,222 07-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Last Post: pasound
  unknow driver plz help ScOrPiOn 19 11,940 04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Last Post: davey6
  Multi Card Reader Driver Briggs32 2 6,250 11-19-2007, 01:59 AM
Last Post: pennwritre