Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2016

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with Matshita uj880as drive on Acer Aspire 5332
Hi i bought my daughter an acer aspire 5332 for christmas, it came installed with Windows Vista and a free upgrade to Windows 7, i tried to install windows 7 christmas day but the optical drive (matshita uj880as) would not recognise the windows 7 dvd, to check if the drive or disc was faulty i put the windows 7 disc in my other pc and it boots without problem, i also tried other dvds in the matshita drive on the laptop they also worked without problem.

so i assumed it was some compatability issue between the drive and the disc? i copied the contents of the windows 7 dvd to my pc desktop and reburnt it onto a standard dvd dsic.

i then tried the copy of windows 7 in the laptop and it boots without problem, i could try the upgrade with the copy but i dont want to incase of errors and voiding the warranty so only want to instal from the original windows 7 disc.

ive contacted acer who were completely unhelpful.

Can anyone help me or suggest anything?

many thanks in advance
you are within your rights to request a new disk from acer as it was part of the deal when you bought your laptop.
acer must replace all faulty disk as part of the agreement with you.

contact acer again and demard that they replace the disk or you will report them to the office of fair trading

with that said.

if the disk copied without a problem is may be down to the format used by acer on that disk.
some dvdroms won't read all formats.

if your copy is working i would think its pretty safe to use that.
if it goes wrong in the install just use the acer recovery and go back to vista.
the acer recover is built on the hard drive but you should have a kick off install disk that you made when you bought the machine.
if you don't have them look under the acer software on that laptop and make the disk before you try windows 7 upgrade.
Hi thanks for your reply, i rang acer again today, such hard work talking to them, the call centre is in india and although they speak English they have a very strong indian accent making very difficult to understand them, furthermore they are clearly just reading generic text from their screen and know nothing about computers whatsoever.

they have instructed me to send the compter to an address in plymouth for repair to their third party repair company.

i dont think that their is a fault with the laptop or necessarily the disc, as it goes my father inlaw brought round his Asus laptop today for me to upgrade his operating system to windows 7, ive not yet tried to do that for him but i did try him windows 7 disc in my daughters laptop and that does the same as my upgrade disc - nothing it will not boot the disc.

strange thing is though with his upgrade disc it has some specific instructions saying to go to a certain website and upgrade the dvd drive firmware before atempting to install the windows 7 dvd!! i am going to put the disc in his drive to see if his boots without upgrading the firmware.

this may be what i need to do? however i cannot find any firmware for the matshita uj880as for an acer 5332 :-(

i was going to ring acer again this afternoon to request a repacement disc but i now feel that also wont boot.

when i was told to send it for repair earlier i said that if it needs repairing i want it replacing as if it was faulty it was faulty from new but she kept telling me the only option was to send it away. and no replacement would be given, then she put me through to a recorded message giving details of how to package it and how to send it and where to send it to, the message also said that if its a software problem then they will charge me £68.64

i will honestly never buy another acer product after this.

thanks again
for info the matshita brand range is made by panasoinc
check there site for a possible firmware upgrade.
must be done from what ever country your in.

but please read any warnings that go with the firmware as there is a risk with it,

sounds like nomral for a support center to be based in india.
and your right they have a list of things to say on their screen and thats it.

they do seem to have given in a bit quick about sending it for repair.
that makes me think they know that drive can't read the upgrade disk.
of corse they would end up saying what they like to charge you that £60.
once that laptop leaves your hands they can say what they like.

one thing you can try and that is put in the upgrade disk.
then go in to my computer, right click on your dvdrom and select explore.
you might be able to kick off the install that way.
if it pops up no disk in drive then that dvdrom can't read the disk at all and that is fireware or a hardware fault or even a format on disk fault.
most dvdroms will read dvd-R or dvd+R very few will read both formats.
I may have missed it, but is the laptop set to boot from the DVD? During the Boot process, tap the F12 key until a boot menu appears. Select the DVD and see if that boots from it. You may also need to "press any key" to get it to boot from the DVD if an operating system is already installed on the laptop.
(01-17-2010, 04:59 PM)biggles77 Wrote: I may have missed it, but is the laptop set to boot from the DVD? During the Boot process, tap the F12 key until a boot menu appears. Select the DVD and see if that boots from it. You may also need to "press any key" to get it to boot from the DVD if an operating system is already installed on the laptop.

Hi tried that already, i change the boot sequence in the bios but still wont boot the disk and it wont even boot another widows 7 upgrade disk (which i borrowed from a friend) as i said before the disk boots in any other computer and other dvds (films and roms) boot in the drive but just not the windows 7. it has to be some compatability issue, especially as it boots the copy of windows 7 i made.

Acer want me to perform a recovery on it but i cant see that working they have also told me to send it to their third party repairers in Plymouth uk called infoteam.

Many Thanks

Leight
well i just some digging on that drive.
found panasioncs main download site and they just say contact acer.
http://panasonic.net/pcc/products/int_dr...ntact.html
i check acer, nothing at all for that drive.

i even checked a firmware site i know and that drive is not on there yet as its too new.
http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

i think your now limited to sending it back to acer, or using your copy disk.
Woo Hoo at last ive just managed to get it to work, the windows 7 actually came with 2 discs the 1 was the windows 7 disc and the other was a preinstal upgrade disc which installs an upgrade wizard.

i obviously followed insturctions and installed the upgrade wizard from the preinstal disc and then tried the windows 7 disc when requested by the wizard, and as you know it would not work i tried this numerous times but it would not read the windows 7 disc.

after that i tried uninstalling the first disc disc (the wizard and tried the windows 7 disc on its own (still no luck).

i then spent days trwling the internet looking for driver / firmware updates for the matshita optical drive but found none anywhere.

Today i thought i would have another go, ive installed the wizard then again once requested by the wizard i inserted the windows 7 disc still no luck, it would not read the disc.

so then i decided to browse the disc and i found a folder called optical drive power management, i opened he folder and there was a setup file in there so i installed it, after which i ran the upgrade wizard which i installed earlier, it asked me for the windows 7 disc and hey presto the disc booted instantly. and windows is now installed, just need to get all the updates which i will do tomorrow.

thanks for all your help / suggestions guys.

regards

Leight
what a starange way of doing a simple upgrade.

but still if its worked for you all good and well.
hope you enjoy windows 7.

i am on windows 7 64bit myself at the moment, but i have a dual boot system as i have run in to problems with 64bit
(01-17-2010, 11:14 PM)davey6 Wrote: what a starange way of doing a simple upgrade.

but still if its worked for you all good and well.
hope you enjoy windows 7.

i am on windows 7 64bit myself at the moment, but i have a dual boot system as i have run in to problems with 64bit

yeah your right is all a bit strange, very long winded, im guessing what ever the optical drive thing was that i installed was ment to be installed automatically by the upgrade wizard but for some unknown reason it wasn't.

thanks again
hey guys i just got my win 7 home premium upgrade media and i tried to do a clean install its giving the following error (windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation and i recovered vista back and tried to upgrade but its getting freezed i have ujj 880as i dont know what to do. i have got 2 cds one is Win 7 HomePremium Upgrade Media and Driver utility can anyone plzzzzz help me?

Thnks guys
as thats a upgrade disk only you can not do a clean install.
you must upgrade windows vista to windows 7

did you read this whole topic on the acer and the problems faced by leight ?

you may have to follow the same steps in order to get windows 7 to install.
that is explore the disk to find the optical drive power management and install that first before you
go ahead with the main upgrade.

now the upgrade would freeze if you have a third party firewall switched on and even some anti-virus would freeze the install as the upgrade disk is trying to access the main root folders of windows.
this can be seen as a attack by some programs and they stop it dead.
make sure your running just the basic windows vista, with all service packs applyed then try again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ880AS tsukage 5 20,920 11-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Last Post: davey6
Shy Optical drive recognition problem ? Riddler 5 5,277 09-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Last Post: davey6