Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2017

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanted: Atheros AR5004G for Windows 98SE
I want a driver for an Atheros AR5004G that works under Windows 98SE. FYI I have drivers for the WiFi card that work under Windows 2000 or Windows XP but the laptop I want the driver for dual boots to XP and 98SE.

Or I could use a Windows 98SE driver for an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG or Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 3A instead since I also have XP drivers for those mini PCI cards.

I searched all over the internet for drivers tonight and all I found was places that wanted me to download something else first or didn't have the Windows 98 version.

Many thanks.
roger did you try this one ?

http://download.cnet.com/Atheros-AR5004G...92440.html
(09-08-2010, 07:24 AM)davey6 Wrote: roger did you try this one ?

http://download.cnet.com/Atheros-AR5004G...92440.html

I saw that cnet.com link earlier but I've never had any luck with them so I didn't try it until now. And I can still say I've never had any luck with download.cnet.com because all cnet.com did was forward me to http://www.atheros.com/ and then when I put AR5004G in the Search box on atheros.com that site sent me to google.com and I couldn't find anything to download but PDF files.

Plus I can't figure out how to get to the drivers section on atheros.com.

A long time I needed a driver for an Atheros AR5005G that worked with Windows 2000 Server. I found one and it works just great for Windows 2000 Sever. The site I downloaded that driver from from said the driver would work with Windows 98 but when I tried to load it onto a Windows 98se machine I got an error message saying something about it didn't support that OS.

BTW I went back to the exact site I downloaded the driver for the AR5005G card a long time ago and things were changed. Now I can't get anywhere with that site.

FYI when I use the AR5004G mini PCI card with in Windows XP I load a driver from Toshiba for an Atheros AR5006EG. Oh yea, the mini PCI card says Toshiba on it but those Toshiba drivers wouldn't load under 98.

I have other mini PCI wireless G cards that I bought used and to get them to work with XP or 2000 I use drivers from dell.com or hp.com but I can't find anything on those sites for the AR5004G that works with 98.

I have managed to get Wireless B to work with Windows 98 but I have to use a PCMCIA card and if I use that same PCMCIA card with XP the internet is very slow as proven by internet speed test.
the main problem roger is windows 98.

its been out of support for years now and over time the drivers that were around have been deleted from the net.

intel stopped all support and back drivers now for windows 98se.
thats why they don't list anything for your two cards.
even gigabyte that i know use to sell that chipset on a own brand wifi card no longer support windows 98.

now i don't know if you have a copy of windows me
reason being windows me will accept some windows 2k drivers. as its part based on windows 2k and part based on windows xp.
its a right mix and match o/s to be honest but with older machines its one possible way of keeping them going.
(09-08-2010, 02:31 PM)davey6 Wrote: now i don't know if you have a copy of windows me
reason being windows me will accept some windows 2k drivers. as its part based on windows 2k and part based on windows xp.
its a right mix and match o/s to be honest but with older machines its one possible way of keeping them going.

Ok, I'll backed the following files from C:\
AUTOEXEC.BAT
BOOT.INI
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
then renamed 3 directories and installed Windows Millennium and the AR5004G driver still complained about the operating system.

Then after installing Millennium I backup up the same 6 files and renamed the same 3 directories. Now my Dell Latitude C510 can easily be setup to boot to 98SE, Millennium or the XP Pro on Drive D.

I'll keep the 98SE around because there are times when I need a 98 bootdisk for installing Windows 2000 Server on a computer where you have to copy the install files over to the HD first.

If you ever try to use a Millennium bootdisk to install Windows 2000 Server then you can take the error message you get, go to support.microsoft.com and find out for yourself that there are times you need a Windows 98 bootdisk for installing Microsoft software.

I'll guess I'll give up on getting a Wireless G driver for Windows 98SE.

For what it is worth, Linksys makes a Bluetooth USB adapter compatible with Windows 98SE that lets me use my cellphone for the Internet on a laptop running Windows 98SE.
how did you try and install the driver?

direct from the disk ?

if that was the case try loading just the driver files from the cdrom not the whole software.
me should be able to accept those

there is one very good site on the net that has just about every boot disk that came out, used it for years.
http://www.bootdisk.com/
I have a older hp machine then you do Eek its a hp armada 1750 one of the very first laptops i ever had, still dam well works after all these years, its only a p2 machine, and the lcd backlight is not what you would call white its yellow, lol lol
big brick of a machine but still works just as good as when i bought it.

now days i carry my dell XPS M1710 with me, good machine it really is worth the money, people moan about the gfx cards burning out on this model but thats only because they don't clean the two heatsinks and fans like i do.
that laptop gets its top removed every three months and cleaned out,
there is a alot of heat from the core 2 and the nvidia 7950 ( 512 mb ) so they do tend to drag the old dust in alot.

(09-08-2010, 08:53 PM)davey6 Wrote: how did you try and install the driver?

I tried to install it the same way I did with Windows 2000. I ran the setup program. If I just install the drivers I won't have a way to connect to a WiFi network.

Quote:there is one very good site on the net that has just about every boot disk that came out, used it for years.
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Looks like a good site but I don't know if I need anything from there. Maybe I'll try it again one of these days.

Quote:I have a older hp machine then you do, its a hp armada 1750 one of the very first laptops i ever had, still dam well works after all these years, its only a p2 machine, and the lcd backlight is not what you would call white its yellow, lol lol
big brick of a machine but still works just as good as when i bought it.

P2 machine? Wow that is old. My oldest laptop is a Compaq Armada M700 with a P3 running at 700mhz. It runs 24/7 because I use it for my Internet Server. The screen is dark around the edges but I don't care about the screen. If I want to do something on it I'll use Remote Desktop or Remote Desktop Web to take control of it from another computer.

I would like to put my Internet Server on something a little faster but the M700 is also the quietest laptop I have.

I bought it used and shortly after I bought it, it quit booting. I looked up the error message on the Internet and found out I had to remove the internal network card for it to boot. That means now I have to use a PCMCIA card for the network.

Quote:now days i carry my dell XPS M1710 with me, good machine it really is worth the money, people moan about the gfx cards burning out on this model but thats only because they don't clean the two heatsinks and fans like i do.
that laptop gets its top removed every three months and cleaned out,
there is a alot of heat from the core 2 and the nvidia 7950 ( 512 mb ) so they do tend to drag the old dust in alot.

Yeah, I know a lot about those problems. I've even seen a video where the laptop that over heated and started getting vertical streaks in the screen that was just like one I own.

BTW I now carry a ASUS EEEPC 901 around with me. It has two internal SSD cards where one boots to Windows 2000 Server and the other SSD boots to XP Pro. It also has internal Bluetooth so I can easily use my cell phone for the Internet and the battery last pretty long.

BTW I found the reason I want to leave a laptop with a Windows 98SE partition on it and here is the reason.

Now back to the 98SE driver for the AR5004G. I've decided not to worry at all about Wireless Internet for 98SE so I even removed the software for the Wireless B PCMCIA card that I had working.

oh yeah seen alot of those over heating laptops in my time.
poor cooling leads to melt down in places you don't ecpect.

packard bell is another one, their easy note laptops are horrible things to work on.
over the years i have been pretty lucky with my laptops, only 1 broke down but it was so old it did not really suprise me when i opened it to find the power caps popped.

its like everything else you look after a laptop and it will work for years.
use it on a bed or carpet and it blocks its vents leading to a heap of trouble.

this old hp machine i have is a p2 333mhz really fast ( not ) Grin
it does not even have a bios screen just has the compaq rom boot that you can't access.

and to think even that is not the oldest laptop i have worked on Eek

i always found that windows 2k works best with ntsf file system, fat32 used by windows 98se / me is ok for a dos based system but windows 2k / nt was the first to use the ntsf files system, just means you can use longer file names.
boot disk.com has the full set of windows 2k start disk
think its 4 floppies in total needed to boot 2k in ntsf.
out of all the o/s that microsoft done its only windows 2k i really did not learn, when it came out i was very ill, by the time i started to pull myself together again i had windows xp beta dumped in my inbox to test.
(09-09-2010, 07:22 AM)davey6 Wrote: its like everything else you look after a laptop and it will work for years.
use it on a bed or carpet and it blocks its vents leading to a heap of trouble.

I know overheating can cause video problems but can it also cause spontaneous rebooting or is that something else?

Quote:i always found that windows 2k works best with ntsf file system

I thought that too until I put up a Windows 2000 Server using NTFS and ended up having trouble with the FTP site. I tried all sorts of things to get it to delete old files and I ended up using FAT32 for my Server instead.

Quote:think its 4 floppies in total needed to boot 2k in ntsf.

I had to use three floppies to install NT4 but my Windows Server 2000 install CD is bootable. I only have to boot with one 98SE floppy if I copy the install directory to the HD first.

Quote: i had windows xp beta dumped in my inbox to test.

It took me a long time until I went full bore on XP and then I had to have XP Pro. Same with Windows 7. I had to have Windows 7 Pro to make me happy since it has the Virual PC.

Back to the 98SE driver for the AR5004G. I found a third install for that and it wouldn't work with ME either. No biggie because even after you update the browser in an old OS it is still so far out of date you can't use it for much.
yeah IE 6 was the last to come out that supports windows ME, i think it supported 98se as well.

i get alot of stuff from old microsoft to test,
a few betas i installed of late i did not like,
vista being the biggest pile of crap that it is gave me trouble after trouble in beta stages.
it crashed all over the place, refused to do anything at all without the firewall sticking its nose in to everythng, even if you shut down vista firewall it still moaned when you wanted to try installing a older driver,
firewall off in vista was i won't pop up every five seconds but i am still on sucker.

I don't use a firewall as such on my pc, i have a hardware firewall which as you know are alot better and much harder to break in to.

like your self i will only go for the top o/s, xp pro and windows 7 64bit ultimate.
home versions are just cut back to help keep the speed on lower end machines.

even windows 7 beta the first time it started up i knew it was still vista with a bit taken away here a bit added there. really windows 7 is what vista should have been in the first place.
i still use windows xp pro more then windows 7 as it still supports more software and older hardware.
its going to be real hard for me to give up xp pro thats for sure.

every now and then i even start up in linux mint to see how that is getting along, its more what i would call user friendly then the other versions of linux.
i try and think along the end user way of thinking, not tech head thinking.
thats why some of my post look like they were done by a child, i do that so people that really don't understand what the pc is doing wrong can find it easy to follow what i am saying.
I really should have built this site long ago thats for sure, i get more enjoyment here running my own site then i ever did from the other sites i helped on.
i have no admin looking over my shoulder all the time. something goes of topic i don't really care.
some sites hate that, stick to the point, question done move on to the next.

the only time i stick my admin nose in to something is spam i hate spam of any sort.
that is one way to get yourself banned and very rude email from me.

members talking to each other is fine i really don't mind, members laughing and joking with me and the mods again fine, post spam davey gets the hump.

I am no site builder you can see that just looking at the pages of the site , i am a hardware fault finding person..
but i still enjoyed learning how to build the pages in the first place, i wanted the site so i had to learn how to build it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheros UGJZ1-502A Gavin 1 2,081 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Last Post: davey6
  Some sort of Atheros Adapter Required! andre199017 6 3,859 06-25-2012, 04:36 PM
  Atheros Wireless Driver For XP Rowan88 3 3,978 09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
  amilo li2727 atheros network card mecbrown 1 5,117 06-27-2008, 06:55 PM
  atheros 5211 hermanb2004 3 4,742 05-06-2008, 02:29 PM