Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2016

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visioneer 4800 scanner & Vista

Hi! I have seen another entry elsewhere, but it was not detailed enough for me to have any success with Nono

I have a Visioneer 4800 USB scanner, which works just fine (when on Win 98SE), but does not work with Vista - it looks as though it's installed OK, but when you come to use it is kicks you out with a message saying check the pwer cable, check the USB connection, else its the USB BIOS setting.

I could really do with a very much more detailed description on how to do the thing with shutting down the Vista firewall & using the compatibility wizard & the installation disc. I am a bit of a dullard here, so wd welcome more help, if you can possibly face it! Thinking If you can help with this I will be a v happy bunny indeed! Rock Jan[color=purple]
ok going by your post i can see you really don't have much idea on how to use vista so what i am going to do for you is this.
i have the same scanner myself and i have vista and it works just fine.
i am going to fully uninstall my scanner from the system then reinstall it wrighting down every step i take.
i will then tell you what i did and how i did it.
i can't do it tonight but i will do it in the morning so please check back tomorrow
davey6 Wrote:ok going by your post i can see you really don't have much idea on how to use vista so what i am going to do for you is this.
i have the same scanner myself and i have vista and it works just fine.
i am going to fully uninstall my scanner from the system then reinstall it wrighting down every step i take.
i will then tell you what i did and how i did it.
i can't do it tonight but i will do it in the morning so please check back tomorrow

That would be just FAB - please don't feel under pressure - afterall, if you're prepared to go through all that for me (& not demand fees either!), the least I can do is be patient! I look forward to reading more! (By the way, it's Vista Basic, if that makes any difference!)Rock
ok i just cheated and got my scanner working Grin
i reinstalled my scanner the same way you have to see if i can find a quick work round
your problem without the need to remove this and that from the system.
trying to keep things as simple as possible.

no need to uninstall the software if you follow this

first off download the driver listed here.
http://support.visioneer.com/downloads/d...110.EN.exe
or http://support.visioneer.com/products/ho...nloads.asp

when thats downloaded and safe on your desktop.
click start control panel,
double click windows firewall.
in the left hand list click turn firewall on and off.
next screen click continue.
click off and then apply or ok

now go back to your desktop.
shut down any anti virus you may be running.

pull out the usb plug for the scanner in the back of the pc.
now plug in the power pack but don't plug in the usb plug.

double click that file you just downloaded.
it will install the usb drivers into vista.
plug the scanner usb cable in when asked

it should now find and install the usb driver for the scanner.
restart the pc.
double click paperport and it should now run.

if by the off chance it still comes up with no usb cable e.t.c don't worry.
go on line ( important )
now click start , control panel , double click system icon.
now in the left hand list at the top click device manager.
click continue when asked.
look down the list for usb scanner.
right click the mouse button on it
then select update driver software.

it will now search online and what you have just installed.
it should find the correct driver and install it.

i know all this must seem almost to much to read and remember so please print it out and read it as you go along.

one of the two ways above will get that scanner working under vista as i just done both as a test.

the imporant parts are.

firewall must be shut down , anti virus software must be shut down.
go online when i ask.
if i need to go the long way round and use the wizard i will but try the above first it should get you out of trouble.
davey6 i am impressed.

I came here looking for help with my own Visioneer 4800 after running into the same problems.
this is the sort of answer i would expect to pay for.
to find you sat down and came up with the above work round for a member in under 5 hours is just outstanding.

You are putting some of the big companies to shame , I got mine working by using device manager as you list above,
keep up the good work.
coolnote
I've deleted the message as it was long, but my reply is

FANTASTIC & Very Very Many thanks! I will give it a go when I get a mo from the kids! I couldn't ask for more! Jan
let me know how you get on, if you find its still not working i will tell you step by step how to use the wizard built in to vista.

if you click new reply at the bottom of your post its leaves out all the old message and just posts your reply or use the quick post box.
Success!!!! Grin

I had to do the second part, too, but it's working absolutely fine! Thank you so much. Dave's drivers is definitely on my favourites list (mind you, hubby's name is Dave, so I always had faith in you!) - watch out for more banal requests! Rock

Very many grateful thanks!
good good glad its all working now.

I can not see any reason why the above should not work on other versions of visioneer scanners.

just remember before you follow the above to download the newest drivers for your scanner model.

http://support.visioneer.com/products/ho...ultEOL.asp
Hi.

I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition but I cannot for the life of get my Visioneer 4800 running under it. I've followed your advice to the letter but nothing is working!

Someone on here http://www.driverzone.com/forum/printthr...p?tid=1968 mentioned they got this scanner working on Vista X64.

I don't want to buy a new scanner as I only occasionally use it, mechanically it's fine and Visioneer really should write drivers so their products will work (throwing away good equipment because of incorrect software is ridiculous, and also means I'm less likely to buy from them in the future!).

Any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
nope and it won't work i am sorry to say.
the scanner and the driver are for 32bit versions of windows only.

not even xp 64 bit is supported by visioneer for this older scanner.
:compu2:

Rats. I don't want to install an older OS either (I don't have Vista 32-bit).

Visioneer have lost my support that's for sure.

I've got a bootable CD-only version of Linux - I'll try that instead.

Nono
do a dual boot xp 32bit and vista 64bit
Could try that, but it's a lot of hassle for just a scanner!
dual boot is dead easy to do i have a muti boot system with alot of o/s.
i need to keep old and new o/s for this forum as i can't remember all the old stuff and sometimes i have to double check my own answer.

you may find if you have old programs that you use to like using that some of those don't work with vista.

i run in to that problem as well.

if you do dual boot just remember install xp first vista second it will install dead smooth that way.
Can anyone help me plz. I've lost my installation CD for this scanner and I cant install it. Does anyone know how i could get it installed via websites? i.e. download the drivers from online.
drivers can be found here but please read this whole topic, this scanner does have problems with vista.
http://support.visioneer.com/products/ho...efault.asp

now your other problem is going to be paperport , you can not download that, i do have the full install disk somewhere as i have the same scanner i will see if i can dig it out and rip the disk for you.

oh and one last thing this scanner will only work with vista 32bit , it will not work with vista or xp 64bit .
This is such a ridiculous question I'm actually ashamed to be asking it...but here goes my dignity..

I've installed my 4800 scanner as per Davey's instructions (thank you SO MUCH!) and had the lovely shiney box pop up and say it's all been installed perfectly fine... but I couldn't find it. Anywhere.

Ok, so I uninstalled, tried again, and this time it's coming back saying 'found software but encountered an error.. blah blah ... visioneer 4800 usb cannot copy to specified target.'

dubble eww. tee. eff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting closer and closer to throwing the damn thing out the window..
there is no need to be ashamed of anything ,
getting this scanner working under vista is a bit of a art.

now what i can see of your post you removed the driver then reinstalled it now the system can not see the scanner ?

if thats the case did you install paperport at any point ?

paperport holds the scanning software needed, it gets accessed by word and photo programs when trying to scan.
the driver is just the twain driver used by paperport so its important that you do load paperport as well.

remove everything from the system and start over,
follow my post again but this time print it out so you can read and do at the same time.
remember the basic thing with this scanner, the Compatibility Wizard must be run on everything and that means paperport setup amd when you first open it or vista will do just like you say sit there and say it can't access the program.
once everything is installed open the Compatibility Wizard follow the wizard to the point of picking the program, highlight the paperport shortcut on the desktop, select xp sp1 or sp2
then click next, vista will then apply settings to that program that allows it to work.
I'm having trouble getting my Visioneer 4800 USB scanner to work with Vista.

1. My Vista is completely updated. (Windows Vista Business 32 bit; service pack 2.)
2. I have the original Paperport disk.
3. I followed the instructions (shut down firewall, shut down antivirus, install latest driver, plug the scanner USB cable in when asked) but am not having any success.

The first problem I encounter is at the step "it should now find and install the usb driver for the scanner." I plug in the scanner's USB cable, but I don't get the message saying it is installing the driver.

So then I follow the "if by the off chance" instructions, to go into Device Manager and choose "Update Driver Software."

The second problem I encounter is at the step "it will now search online and what you have just installed. It should find the correct driver and install it."

What happens in my case is that it searches online and then I get this error message:

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
Visioneer 4800 USB
Cannot copy to specified target.
Close

Any suggestions? Thank you!