Davesdrivers copyright 2007-2020

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSU Power Short
Hi Dave,

Just visited a friend he had 12v feed from his psu that touched the motherboard and sparked. the board then gave 4 short beeps with flashing light, i cleared cmos with jumper and removed batt & mem, re tested but now there is no beeps.

the fans spin & hdd powers on but no display.

Any idea what to test? - its a hp machine with small style psu.
that depends on its bios, if its a megtrands bios 4 bleeps plus four flashes of the light can mean dead psu and i hope for your friends sake that is the case because 4 bleeps no flash means fatal error in the motherboard components.

award bleeps differ but award don't normally let out four straight bleeps they let out a code IE 2 long and 2 short bleeps to make four and then repeat.

going by what your saying i would almost be 80% sure that motherboard is toast.
12v + down a 3v lane would be enough to fry any board but its not just the voltage that does the damage its the ampage as well.

the chances are its dead but i have to give you a warning here as well.
things needs to be tested IE memory, cpu e.t.c as thats all normal to do so but i would not in a million years put working hardware on that motherboard to test it.
the reason for that is simple if the power control of that board got shorted out it could now overload and blow any new hardware you add to it.

take the old stuff home ste and test on a known working motherboard, its the best and safest way to do that sort of thing.
I think I would be replacing the M/B and the PSU. Saw a tech try and start a machine on a bench by shorting the soft start pins with a screwdriver and hit the wrong ones. Tiny spark but the board was RIP so I ended up getting a new M/B. SWEEEEEET!!
I did that once myself biggles.
i was in a hurry and shorted the pins out incorrect.
now days i am older and wiser i kept a old pc power switch from a old case and its in my pc box that i take round with me.

I replaced that motherboard at my own cost because i knew i had blown it.
even back then i was dam honest if i screwed something up then i admitted it to the customer and replaced it.
I must admit i do that all the time... think i may stop doing so lol

Ok so we have given up with that setup. i had a AsRock p4v88+ board spare so we rigged this up but the board doesn't recognize the hard disk up with it being sata, on initial boot it sees the dvd drive but then when in bios it doesnt pick it up..

i have read the manual on asrock website and i see that i need to make some kind of floppy disk to get sata working, but floppys are old i don't have a drive or a disk to hand, how do i get round this?
something is wrong, if the bios does not see the drive then windows won't not even with the start up floppy.
that board is based on the via PT880 + 8237 chipset.
you can use nlite to slip the via drivers needed in to your windows xp install.
http://www.nliteos.com/

dead simple to do just follow the wizard in nlite

the via drivers you need are listed here.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/P4V88+/?cat=Download&os=XP

double check in that bios that the sata is switched on.

stop bridging those pins get a plug in switch.
I have a few problems with this board, 1 is that the whole graphics are blue... i will test a different card tomorrow, (all these components have been sat around for some time.

I have hooked up a IDE hard drive and managed to use the sata disk drive to start the xp install but it crashes and gives page fault in non paged area...

i since hooked back up the sata hdd in sata port 1 then disk in sata port 2, on initial boot the dvd drive is listed but hard drive is not, then if i try entering select boot drive it just bypasses to insert boot device. :(

In the bios the only option is enable raid or non raid.
try clear cmos time, remove the battery and power and allow it to drain for a while.
when you restart it load its defaults.
would be a idea to check asrock for bios updates as you never know.
some times newer hard drive sizes are added to the bios codes so worth a check.

that board should have onboard gfx, check to see if thats blue, it is then it might be the vga cable at fault and not your card.

if you got that page fault error in a clean install make sure your install disk is not damaged.
and if you have a sata cdrom and a sata hard drive it should be set to non raid.

i know the asrocks boards are cheap end of the motherboard market but they are not really that bad to be honest, i can think if worse makes on the market.
cleared cmos, this let me back into boot selector, there is no onboard gfx.

I did as you said and put 2 sata drivers in the xp install, but it just came to the screen saying no hard drive detected. :(

if i press f6 to install raid driver it asks from a floppy disk
yes thats normal.
if you used nlight and its slipped the driver in your install correct it will not longer need the F6 stage as windows now knows about the sata controller.

change the hard drive, and sata cable then look in the bios again ste.
its important that the bios does see the drive first because windows can't use a drive if the bios does not see it.
getting rather confused now. i placed a 2.5 sata hdd on and it picked that up straight away, but if i use my 2 3.5 sata drives it doesn't pick them up it just hangs the post screen. but if i hook the drives up on my own system they boot fine.
I have seen that is the past ste.
its the bios it don't understand the drives size.

look on asrocks site for a bios update.
i have the 1.6 version and there is now a 1.7, but can i update without a floppy disk?
i need to check that, but being a old board i would think you need dos mode or a floppy.
ok its pure dos mode so you might get away with doing this.
download the bootable dos cdrom found here.
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

put the ASRUBIOS.EXE and the bios.bin file on that cdrom.
start the pc on that cd and use the dos to flash the bios.
http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSUI.asp?cat=DOS2

check nlight as well i think you can make a start up dos cdrom from that as long as you download the windows 98se or windows me startup files from boot.com

i must go out now but if i remember i will check nlight when it get home as i am sure you can do that.
Hi dave, i swapped the motherboard as i had a spare exactly the same model, replaced the gfx & now everything seems good :)

i wanted to try and save my xp install as i had a project on the go, but following instructions to insert xp cd and select repair, but this option wasn't available. so i selected to install xp along side the copy already there but i got the error irq not less or equal.

after reading the web i should try a clean install, will let you know how i get on.
you need to pull off your work before you use that drive because somethimes even the repair can go worng and windows deletes the very files you want to keep.

IRQ not less or = is a common problem just make sure that they are set to full auto mode in your bios
Managed to get xp to install but it still had old os as well, so i formatted and started a fresh install and the 2 errors i had before came back, pagefile 1 and irq 1. the irq just popped up when install got to installing start menu.

Any ideas?
hum thinking about this error.
have you checked that hard drive for possible error tarcks or bad sectors before you installed windows ?

its possible you may have a bad sector and that is causing the setup problems.

if possible ste remove that drive shove it in your pc and run a disk check to map out any bad sectors
if thats not possible try doing this.
partition the drive by the windows setup.
make the first partition only 2 gig in size and leave the rest of the drive as the second.
continue to set windows up on the large partition.
thats a cheating way of skipping any bad sectors at the start of a hard drive and is only a temp fix.

things to look at when you get a IRQ error.
PCI slots all use IRQ so remove any plug in cards during the install.
even a modem in slot 1 and not slot 3 can cause a error.

IDE cable's some motherboards kick up a fuss over the wrong cable speed being used.
sounds silly but i have seen it happen.

check the memory simms for error's under full load.

reset the IRQ to auto, if that fails switch it over to manual but don't change the list.
its pre set on manual to the bios best thinking but windows and the bios can't change it.

test the hard drive
test the install cdrom disk.
if the board is a 24pin power plug make sure you use a 24pin PSU, like wise make sure the P4 power plug is in place
some boards post even without that plug in place.
all basic stuff really but its best i remind you to check.
Getting sick of it now, just formatted a drive and checked it was all 100% ok, set it to install and now i got anoter bsod BAD_POOL_CALLER .