Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2018

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xp will not restart
When I try to use the restart button in the start menu nothing happens but I can still use the shutdown button so it is more of an annoyance than anything else .
windows xp home sp2 on a emachines T3120
512 mb ram
is the restart and standby buttons grayed out like you can't use them ?

if so your missing a driver from the machine.

also see if its a windows fault as well push ctrl+alt+delete bring up the windows task manager , look at the top for shut down see if it will restart from there.

I have been playing about with this forum for three hours now changing icons and colours what do you think ?

better , worse ?
davey6 Wrote:is the restart and standby buttons grayed out like you can't use them ?

if so your missing a driver from the machine.

also see if its a windows fault as well push ctrl+alt+delete bring up the windows task manager , look at the top for shut down see if it will restart from there.

I have been playing about with this forum for three hours now changing icons and colours what do you think ?

better , worse ?

The button was not greyed out but it turns out that the cause seemed to be where the Ram in an emachines is cheap and prone to fragmentation because after totally shutting down for a few minutes to alolow the ram to defrag It started doing fine again.
hopefully this will be alleviated when my new Kingston Ram gets here .
Btw do yuo know how much Ram the Mb on this model will support.
The new buttons are an improvement especially for total nubes although a few more smileys would be cool lol Rapps
well going by the sepcs at emachines , 2 gig is the max the board supports. ( pc3200 ) ddr400
if you machine is locking up its memory like that do a disk defrag so it cleans out the crap in the swap file.

just reading the pdf file guide on your computer, it looks like you have four memory slots, if thats the case get two matched ram sticks 2x1gig and set it up in dual channel mode you will get a faster system if you get a matched pair

kingston ram is dam good memory i use kingston hyperx in my server machine here, in my main machine i have Corsair Dominator again this has proven to be very good ram that overclocks nice.

smileys Thinking
oh its so not fair i spent hours changing the board icons layout e.t.c and you want more smileys Slap
i like the big smileys as you can tell i will look for more soon.
yeah once I restarted it I defragd the hard drive and it is running decent now Thanks for the info on the ram and I like big smilies too lol ClapClapClapGrinGrin:loll::loll:
the reason I didint comment on anything else is because it is great
oh now i remember. when i was reading your manual for that computer i had this nagging feeling i have seen this computer before, a good nights sleep and now i remember why

that shape emachine chikid suffers from a bad psu if the psu pops as they tend to do after a few years it takes the
motherboard with it as it surges the main power control board.
think about replacing the psu with a good make before that happens.
I replaced her ps about a year ago due to some sabotage from her old roommate she cut the wires coming off it but I usually have several pulls as well as a couple new ones on hand so we had the last laugh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xp,Persistent restart gideon 9 8,361 11-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Last Post: davey6