Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2017

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dell Desktop
About 5-6 years ago I bought my In-laws a new Dell Desktop. Over that time I've had to update the video card (got father in law hooked on gaming...) but no issues until now.

He's telling me that frequently when he goes to turn it on, it'll start making a beeping noise and nothing will happen. Then he'll wait a little while and push the "On button" again and sometimes it starts right up and other times is starts beeping again.

He tried unplugging it and waiting a bit, which doesn't seem to effect the outcome of whether it beeps or boots up like it should.

He was asking if the On button could be bad but I'm guessing it's not that simple.

I'm no computer wizard but wondering if the mother board is going out?
can you remember what desktop number that dell is ?
the reason I ask is simple dells have a diagnostic lights system on the back but sometime front of a pc
if there is a fault when booting it will leave 1 or 2 of those lights on and you can trace the fault that way.
the other way is if you can get In to its bios screen you should be able to read the events and do a diagnostic test
from there any faults should be shown.

however there is a common dell fault that can cause the problems you saying and that is a bad PSU
when you press the power button it will not light up green it will light up orange
if that desktop is doing that then I am pretty sure it will be a bad psu.
(08-27-2015, 08:45 PM)davey6 Wrote: can you remember what desktop number that dell is ?
the reason I ask is simple dells have a diagnostic lights system on the back but sometime front of a pc
if there is a fault when booting it will leave 1 or 2 of those lights on and you can trace the fault that way.
the other way is if you can get In to its bios screen you should be able to read the events and do a diagnostic test
from there any faults should be shown.

however there is a common dell fault that can cause the problems you saying and that is a bad PSU
when you press the power button it will not light up green it will light up orange
if that desktop is doing that then I am pretty sure it will be a bad psu.

Called my Mother In Law and she said an orange light comes on when this occurs. It was happening very frequently before they asked me about it but in the past 2 weeks its been working fine.

I told them about your suggestions on the PSU and that if starts happening again I'll come replace it for them.

Thank you davey6!
did you mange to find out the desktop model number ?
I can check up then on its diagnostic codes so if it happens again we can pin it right down.
save s you a wasted trip.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compaq Presario SR5019UK Desktop PC gazlynam 8 7,358 09-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Last Post: davey6