Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2017

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony Vaio VGN-FZ160E vista downgrade
I can't see you have done anything wrong and i have found almost every driver for you to try.

now on the sony i done it was very easy in fact it was like installing a normal version of xp on any laptop
it is possible sony have now done a bios update that would stop xp but i would think this very unlikey

you now have the correct drivers from IBM so what i would do is bypass the floppy stage and add the controller drivers to a clean windows xp cdrom.
reset your bios back to defaults then try your new disk.

to add your controller to a xp disk please read this.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To-...stallation

i think that really is yor last hope of trying to downgrade this laptop.
Sugfry - I know your are getting frustrated about this - especially as you and I and our buds over at "our other space" worked on this a couple of months ago, and hit the same wall.

Dave's got some insights and resources the rest of us don't have - that's why I suggested you ask here.

I'm going to look through that entire set of Vista-to-XP downgrade drivers I downloaded from Sony and see if any sata sets seem to fit - some may be different, if slightly, than the stock Intel, which should have worked the first time...
right i have been doing some heavy reading at microsoft about this stop eror and that controller chip.

it would seem micosoft are saying put the driver in to your windows xp sp2 disk,
that way is listed above.

they also list that you do need a windows xp with built in sp2 install disk.

if your windows xp is say sp1 or the orignal xp ( which had massive problems ) i don't think it will work.
all is not lost if you have a early xp disk.
beg your friends and see if any have the xp sp2 disk.
you can use your product key number on their install disk as thats what you pay for.
you buy the product key number not the disk.
make a new cdrom as above add your storage driver and try again.

this will also help that i found at hp of all places.
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/foru...Id=1171504
The Sony "regression" sets I have all have the same SATA driver, the Intel 7.0.0.1020. The generic Intel is 7.6.0.1011, six months newer.

One difference I saw in the .inf was this group in the Sony set:
DiskName = "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver"
*PNP0600.DeviceDesc = "Intel RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801FR SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 631xESB/632xESB SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801GHM SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801HR/HH/HO SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller"

While the Intel generic has this:
DiskName = "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver"
*PNP0600.DeviceDesc = "Intel RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 631xESB/632xESB SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801GHM SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller"

Reads as if the Sony set installs for more variations of the controller than the Intel.
Thanks for all that info Davey6 I will give that a go today at some stage hopefully. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but have been sick for the last couple of days. Thanks for all your help with this problem Davey6 it is greatly appreciated.
Rock:thankyou:RockGrinClap:thankyou:

Looks like I finally got xp installed Thanks so much for all your help Davey6 I used nlite to slipstream a install cd, which has currently got 19 minutes to go on installation. i can't thank you enough for all your help. If there is anything that i can do for you please don't hesitate to ask. thanks againClapClap
Now I'm just searching for all the drivers i will let you know how it goes. Thanks again davey your help was greatly appreciated.Rock
Wow - so glad that worked! Sugfry, I have a lot of Sony XP drivers for various models, most of which have identical hardware to yours. Post a list of what you need, and can probably get them all. I can send them up to Davey's board and he can sort them out for other members, too.

It would be good to grab Everest from this link - http://www.davesdrivers.com/everest - to get a named list of things you can't identify from Device Manager.
well glad that worked i was running out of ideas
i am really pushed for time at the moment i have four laptops looking at me waiting for that screw driver :D

i will check up at sony on your specs later today and see what i can find for you.

can someone please tell me how i can make three laptops work out of four two with broken screens ?
i am good but not that good ... wheres the duct tape lol.
Thanks guy's I think that i managed to get nearly everything working the only problems I have is that my sound is really quite it never was this quite before. Could it be the wrong driver it was the only one that I could that would install properly & everything in device manager say's that it is working properly. But there is also legacy audio drivers for some reason. & the other problem I have which is the volume buttons & av buttons wont work but thats not a big problem just a little annoying. Thanks again guy's for all your help.:thankyou:
did you load up the microsoft uaa driver ?
that should be loaded before the sigmatel hd audio drivers.

try doing this.
remove the sigmatel driver from this system.
restart the laptop and cancel the found new hardware wizard.
load up the microsoft unversal driver ( uaa ) that will tell xp all about hd audio.

then load up the sigmatel hd audio drivers that i used myself on a sony laptop.
they can be found here in this list.
http://www.davesdriversfiles.com/sonydrivers/

can't remember if you have to load them by device manager or not been asleep since i done that downgrade but download the whole audio folder.

you hotkeys are not listed at sony not even for vista so they must be built in the o/s or the recovery partition that was on your hard drive.
if you have not blanked that partition have a quick look in it for the hotkey driver it will be for vista but as long as you don't use the self install you should be able to pull it out the partition and use device manager to check for a update driver.
Thanks Davey6 that got it sorted out I must have installed them in the wrong order. thanks mate.
I have just found one more thing you might be able to help me with, The drivers i have installed for the flash card reader doesn't seem to work. I downloaded the ones from your link but they don't have an exe file how do I go about installing them? TIA
you have to install them from device manager as they are the vista drivers and i disabled the exe file to stop self install.

download the flash media folders

go in to device manager right click on your flash card reader then click update driver.
browse to the driver folder and let xp search the files it will pick what it needs as i done it myself.
Hi davey6,

I have the same problem and the same Sony Vaio model (VGN-FZ160E). I was very excited to see that you had attached a file named "intel raid.zip" to your reply, but unfortunately, when I tried to download it I got a 0KB file.

Would you please email me the file or repost it? My email address is st1355 at gmail dot com

Thanks a lot,
kellepaca
thats very strange and your right its empty.

i will upload the drivers again once i get five mins and can track them down at gigabyte.
should be able to do that in the next two hours for you.
i now have to check where that file is.
i bet its where my bloody host copied the site over from server to server and lost it.
Davey, I have that file. Would just up it to the site right now, but no attached files options for my posts...
pasound,

Would you mind emailing it to me, while Dave is looking for it. I just can't wait to get rid of this Vista :)

st1355 at gmail dot com

Thanks,
kellepaca
Sent, kellepaca, as a favor. However, gmail blocked it and bounced it back. Sorry.

And for all other reader's info, it is not our policy to email drivers, so don't make a request - usually they're too big to mail out, anyway.
pasound,

Thank you very much for trying. I am getting sick of these limitations today. Did it have a file extension which gmail did not like? If it is not too much to do, could you rename the zip file as .123 and try to resend it please? Otwerwise, my girlfriend will kill me since I killed her laptop with the promise of installing XP :)

Thanks,
kellepaca

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sony laptop downgrade davey6 15 34,562 06-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Last Post: mdd66
  Drivers Needed: Sony VAIO PCG-K215Z(GB) Wayne88 8 7,865 03-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Last Post: davey6
  sony vaio penkaye 1 2,747 10-23-2010, 01:41 PM
  sony vaio vgn-nw71fb driver blankblabla 1 5,225 08-15-2010, 04:33 PM