Davesdrivers copyright 2007-2022

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAM and Video card installed, computer crashing
I installed a new RAM and a new Video Card onto my mother board and when the computer is working it is working brilliantly; however it crashes frequently. Both parts were carefully selected to match the computer's motherboard but for whatever reason the computer is now failing. I bought the parts off New Egg and they came in on Thursday but haven't really had the chance to test everything till last night and today.

The mother board is a PC Chips M957G
RAM is a G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Video Card is a BIOSTAR V6802XA21 GeForce 6800XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X

Everything seems to match, but it just isn't running all together properly. Anything you could do to help me out would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
the nvidia 6800 is a very stable GPU that don't really have that many problems as long as your direct x is fully up to date.

you don't list what windows your running i would take a stab and say xp.

what model of the G.Skill ram did you buy ?
it does make a difference.
on checking there site the pc3200 has a CAS Latency that can be very fast on some models.

your motherboard has the via chipset which was not the best for a p4 pent d system but should be stable.

i think the problem is down to the CAS Latency of your ram not matching your board or other hardware and giving you a system crash.

intel chips of that age work best with a CAS Latency time of 2.5 , 3 , 3, 5

or 3 , 3 , 3 ,5

you can slow down a fast ram stick to do what you want so just have a look in your bios under advanced settings.
enable the system overclock.
scroll down to your ram and change the time from 2 to 2.5 and see if it stops it from crashing.
if it don't change from 2.5 to 3
the rest of the ram time will change with the main CL clock speed you only have to change the first CL rate.
I do have Windows XP
The RAM is Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS

I tried to do the overclocking to slow it down, but it only prevented me from being able to get past the part where I can enter BIOS.

Do you think that I would be better off returning the RAM sticks for something else? and if so what?

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me
that ram has a CAS Latency of 2.5-3-3-6 which should work just fine.

right go back in your bios and reload its defaults.
that will set your motherboard back to full auto detect on the ram and agp port.

things you need to check out.

remove the memory and reseat it just in case it has a bad contact.
try one sim at a time so if you have 2x1gig remove one of the sims and try using the pc.
if its stable try the other sim on its own you may have a bad sim and it will show up if you try them one at a time.
if you do have a bad sim send it back for replacment.

the 6800 gpu range are a heavy old card.
make sure that is sitting square in its agp port and not slipped down giving a bad contact.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installed New Memory, Computer Freezes! Rowan88 17 31,979 09-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Rowan88