Copyright Daves Drivers 2007-2017

Facebook Share

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vista to xp down-grade on Toshiba satallite P105-S6177
I know this is pretty late for this thread but I did the Satellite P105-S6177 downgrade to XP (really a dual boot with Vista) a while ago but I recently found out that "Stand By" and "Hibernate" were not working in XP so I tracked that problem down to the Vista Modem driver I tried to use from the original install CD.

FYI the original install disk worked great for fixing the dual boot after XP destroyed it.

To make a long story short on how I ended up getting XP to work:

Chipset and VGA drivers came from an Aopen computer and those two drivers seemed pretty standard.

TI 7412 PCMCIA driver came from the original install CDs but I had to load XP-SP3 before the memory card slot worked.

Touchpad driver came from Synaptics.

I downloaded a few drivers from Toshiba for the P105-S6024 but I had to edit inf files for both the Sound and Modem drivers to get them to load.

I learned the edit inf file trick from reading about problems people had with the sound when they went from Vista to XP. Of the drivers I got from the P105-S6024 they were: Ethernet, Modem, Sound and WLan.

To get the Sound to work under XP-SP2 I had to load something about UAA but I didn't need that with XP-SP3. I also have to mention the sound seems to work but I can only get the microphone to work under Vista.

BTW the Wake on Lan works great with the Toshiba Satellite P105-S6177 and as old as the laptop is the screen still looks great, it still sounds great and the battery still holds a decent charge.
i can tell you where the pronlem was.
that tech republic site you pointed out is talking about a post i done on driverzone.

i was a mod on driverzone for ten year before they shut the site down,
i am not one to give up free support and built this site myself.
anyway, the main problem was you loaded sp3 before your sound,
the UAA support in sp3 is not correct because there is a bug in it that microsoft know all about.
when doing any sort of downgrade all be it on a laptop or desktop its best to stick with sp2 and load the UAA yourself which is a standard intel, microsoft driver to support all HD sound cards,
the other important part is direct x, it must be updated under windows xp.

if your mic is not working open play control, make sure mic is listed and not muted ( default setting under xp )
if its not listed, click options, advanced, put a tick in mic, then click ok.

for info.
i was the first person on the net that worked out that the UAA had to be installed before any sound card drivers were installed when doing downgrades.
other people have just copied some of the things i have done over the years.

I worked this all out by getting hold of a brand new sony laptop and downgrading the thing after people where just running in to a brick wall with the sound.
(09-06-2010, 07:26 AM)davey6 Wrote: the main problem was you loaded sp3 before your sound,
the UAA support in sp3 is not correct because there is a bug in it that microsoft know all about.

I just installed a spare hard drive into my P105-S6177, loaded XP-SP2 on it, the chipset driver, the UAA driver from HP and then installed the modified sound card driver and the microphone still doesn't work.

(09-06-2010, 07:26 AM)davey6 Wrote: if your mic is not working open play control, make sure mic is listed and not muted ( default setting under xp )

The microphone was listed and it was muted but unchecking it and then raising the volume didn't change anything.

I really don't need the microphone anyway but after seeing another post somewhere else about the microphone not working I decided I'd find one of my microphones and give it a try.

While messing with the HD in the P105-S6177 I noticed that the hard drive compartment had enough extra room to support the thick 2.5 inch 1TB drive from Western Digital. I tried it for a few hours and it ran so slow I ended up going back to the 500GB WD HD that was in there.
what sound card driver did you load roger ?

with these conexant they use a auto jack system,
plug a set of phones in that laptop, if the headphones come on but the laptop sepakers are also working at the same time
its a fault with the mod driver and does not have the auto jack software file.

i have never been a fan of tosh laptops, sony or hp for that matter, some of the models can be a real piggy to get apart repair and put back together,
for myself i use dell, reason being they will support their laptops so much better then some of the others.you can even get the service manuals that show you how to strip it down.

the best thing tosh make is their tv's they are a good product.
(09-06-2010, 09:32 PM)davey6 Wrote: what sound card driver did you load roger ?

I downloaded an XP sound card driver for the Toshiba Satellite P105-S6024 then made a few edits to the inf file so it would load.

I got the sound to work just fine after that but I found out recently my microphone does not work and I'd probably never known that if I hadn't gone out of my way to find a microphone to test it.

The only time I can remember using a microphone on a portable computer was when I had set it up as a bluetooth speaker phone and I don't have any reason to do that with the Satellite P105-S6177.

When my P105-S6177 had Vista on it about the only thing I used it for was to burn ISO files and that is why I kept a 60GB Vista partition on a 500GB drive.
(09-06-2010, 07:26 AM)davey6 Wrote: i can tell you where the pronlem was.
that tech republic site you pointed out is talking about a post i done on driverzone.

i was a mod on driverzone for ten year before they shut the site down,
i am not one to give up free support and built this site myself.
anyway, the main problem was you loaded sp3 before your sound,
when doing any sort of downgrade all be it on a laptop or desktop its best to stick with sp2 and load the UAA yourself which is a standard intel, microsoft driver to support all HD sound cards,
the other important part is direct x, it must be updated under windows xp.

if your mic is not working open play control, make sure mic is listed and not muted ( default setting under xp )

for info.
i was the first person on the net that worked out that the UAA had to be installed before any sound card drivers were installed when doing downgrades.
other people have just copied some of the things i have done over the years.

I worked this all out by getting hold of a brand new sony laptop and downgrading the thing after people where just running in to a brick wall with the sound.

Hi Dave,

First of all thanks for all this useful info. I set out yesterday morning to restore my gf toshiba's satellite p105-s6177 and to downgrade the OS from vista to xp. I spent the whole day downloading drivers and forcing upgrades; pretty much after a whole day of trial/error I succeeded at making the controllers work but just realised that I have not a mic working; sound is ok. I followed your advice on the post above but still no success, I think the Conexant HD Audio may be malfunctioning as when I run the Sound Hardware Test Wizard there's some noise recognized when switching ticks between Mic In/Audio CD and Wave Out Mix. The driver I forced in after UAA is the BD1HDAa.
I have also being trying to download the four drivers you posted on the link above but the first two seem to be dead.
Hope you can help me with this last step!
Feels like there is light at the end of the tunnel!
THanks,
PS. I am running XP SP2, I rejected the upgrade to SP3 for now.

can you let me know what the four post were ?

the problem is a file in the conexant drivers or to pin it right down its the auto detect part of the driver.

the conexant sound is getting on a bit now and i know microsoft have the newest driver on windows update.

if you post your sound cards ID string i will take a look at microsoft and see if they have something that might get you out of trouble

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XP driver for Toshiba Satellite P100/P105 wlx8 35 98,728 08-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Last Post: davey6
  vista to xp down-grade on Toshiba satallite L300-129 Dirkloots 5 6,220 04-19-2009, 01:02 PM
  toshiba satellite p105 s6147 - XP Drivers Please kukuboom 1 8,415 01-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Exclamation Toshiba P105-S9337 - Major Overheating! Coup 7 7,070 01-01-2009, 10:59 PM
  Problems with XP and Toshiba p105-9337 Bert223 17 18,586 11-19-2008, 08:14 AM